Thursday, July 19, 2007

Oh what a week and what is the deal with 2007?

Wow what a week! Monday, Rex had a slight fever so we just hung around. It never got over 100.4 so I didn't really worry about it. So Tuesday he woke up just fine, no fever so we decided to go to swimming lessons. He was having a rough day so I decided that we probably needed to relax another day. A few hours later my friend Stefanie called and said they were at the park and did we want to go. I asked Rex how he was feeling and he said he was good and happy and wanted to go play with Daeson so we went. We got there and he started playing in the water feature, acting totally normal and fine. We heard a fire truck and ambulance pull up and Rex started running over to the playground. I didn't want him over there because he didn't have shoes on and the ground was hot, plus I couldn't see him well over there. So I chased after him and when I got close to him he started crying and running toward me. I thought it was because his feet were hot so I grabbed him and held him. While I was holding him he started shaking and I looked down at him and his eyes were rolled back in his head and I realized he was having a seizure. Thank goodness the paramedics were there because I ran over to them and told them my son was seizing. The paramedic grabbed him and took him to the ambulance. He finally stopped seizing in the ambulance but he was really out of it. Stefanie took Sam and Rex and I rode in the ambulance to the hospital. Shortly after we got to the hospital, Rex had another seizure. It was SO scary, I hope no one ever has to see their kid do that, it is the worst thing to watch. After the first one they weren't super concerned because of his fever the day before, they figured it was a febrial seizure which is quite common in kids with fevers. But after the second one, they were more concerned and so they did a ton of tests including a CT scan, x-rays, and a lumbar puncture. They decided he needed to be transferred downtown to the pediatric unit at the other hospital. So we stayed the night there with him being monitored closely to make sure he didn't have another one. Imagine trying to keep an active 2 year old in a hospital bed, hooked to an IV, not fun. He was freaked out and didn't want to be there and so he cried from about 10:00 p.m. to 1:40 a.m when he FINALLY fell asleep. It is heartbreaking to see your child having such a hard time and not being able to do anything about it. Well the next day the doc said we could go home. He thinks it was a febrial seizure and the second one was just part of the same episode as the first one. All his tests were normal so although they don't know the exact reason for it, they think it was just the changes in temp in his body between the fever and the 100 degree temps outside. We are just SO happy he is ok and feel really blessed and humbled. I now see him with a whole new appreciation and realize that life is so precious so I better enjoy every minute with him. He has been so sweet since he got home and we are enjoying every minute of it. Our neighborhood was amazing! We got so many phone calls of support and two dinners brought to us so we didn't have to worry about that. Our next door neighbors were at the hospital within an hour and Mark helped my Mark give Rex a blessing and Tami held Sam and kept him occupied so we could focus on Rex. My mom came and took care of Sam so we didn't have to worry about him. We are sad because we were supposed to go to Santa Barbara today so Mark could go spear fishing with his brothers and I could go shopping for my B-day. And oh yea so that everyone could meet Sam! But obviously it wouldn't be smart for us to go so we will have to go another time. At least Rex is ok and that is all that matters! We sure love him. Here is his first night home, in our room (because we are paranoid) and with his new dog that the neighbors got him when he was in the hospital. SO PRECIOUS!



I guess we are just going to have to call 2007 the year of the hospital. First Mark broke his hand, then we had Sam, then Mark had an appendicitis, and now this! We have definately met our deductible!
Last week we had fun though! We went to Grandma's house to visit with Jessica and Jack who came up. It was so fun and we enjoyed watching the cousins get to know each other. Here are the pictures.


Created with Paul's flickrSLiDR.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh my gosh... i'm DYING at this story! I was seriously reading it with my mouth wide open and my hand over my mouth. i'm SO glad he's okay, but so sorry you had to go through that. we've had our share of scares with noah too- it's the absolute worst feeling ever to watch your child be in pain and not be able to fix it. anyway... crazy!

Jessarella said...

Poor Rex, I am so glad he is doing better. We were so scared when we heard about this. I would have been freaking out. Please give my nephews big kisses from their Auntie!