Thursday, December 17, 2009

Big 5 year old

My little boy is 5. Crazy how time creeps up on you like that. It's seems like such a milestone birthday in many respects, yet at the same time, Rex has been acting like a 5 year old for months. He's always been mature for his age, as well as extremely tall so I often would forget how young he really was. He plays with kids that are almost all older than him, some by even a year. Then the fact that he lost his first tooth and has a permanent tooth already peeking through, this child just seems like such a big kid now. I love all the new stages as he grows, yet find myself longing for the time when he was all mine and his world extended no further than his dad and I. That has definitely changed. This child will not be a homebody, he loves to be out and he loves adventure. Almost daily he asks to go to a friends house. Pretty soon he will be out playing all day with his buddies. It makes me realize I need to cherish the moments I have with him. It sounds so cliche, but it seriously is crazy how time flies and before you know it, they have grown up. Obviously Rex still has a lot of growing up to do and I hope I can be a huge part of that. More than anything though, he has helped me grow up. I have learned so much in the last 5 years and become a much more patient, relaxed person. I have made many mistakes and as the oldest, Rex has been a part of most of them but he loves me still. Unconditionally. That amazes me. I love my stubborn little boy who challenges me and makes me laugh all at the same time. Happy Birthday yesterday buddy! Don't grow up too fast.
This is Rex opening up his Grandparent gifts the morning of his birthday. As well as his Batman cake.


When Rex was 3, he went to a big party at a place called "Jump on It". It was one of those inflatable toy areas where the kids could run around a play as much as they want. He asked me then if he could have a party there. I promised him he could have a big party like that when he turned 5. Sadly, "Jump on It" went out of business. Luckily, Rex didn't remember that he just remembered that he would have a big party. I kept asking where he wanted to do it and the only thing he could ever think of was Chuck E Cheese. My memories of Chuck E Cheese were of a dark, dirty, semi-ghetto place so I wasn't sure, but we visited our local Chuck E Cheese one day and I was very pleasantly surprised. It is actually really clean, bright and a lot of fun. So that is what we did and he and his friends had a great time. Sam and Mark thought it was pretty awesome too. Here are the MANY pictures.











6 comments:

Jillian said...

love the batman cake..It is awesome!

Jessarella said...

Happy 5th birthday Rex! Seems like just yesterday you were born!
Cute cake Michelle!

Kelli and Chad said...

Looks like so much fun. It makes me so sad Kemper wasn't there with Rex on his B-day. I can't beleive our little boys are growing up so fast. Tell Rex happy b-day from us!

Dinger said...

That batman cake rocks! I might have to use that idea. Glad you survived a five year old boy b-day party. Looks like fun.

the reilly's said...

You brought tears to my eyes. You are a sweet mom Michelle. I can totally relate with you about the things you learn with your first child. I wish time would slow down. I think every day that I need to cherish the moments because before I know it, they will be gone. I loved your post. Looks like it was a fun birthday!!

Emily Andrus said...

Wow, Rex is 5! Happy Birthday. What an amazing cake and party you did for him. You are such a good mom Michelle. It is obvious.
Me and Kevin always say how much better parents we are the second time around too. I think that must be completely natural. I agree that time does fly. You are a good example of parenting in the moment and really enjoying it all. :)
PS-Didn't realize that Rex and Austin Keetch are so close in age!