Saturday, January 1, 2011

Oliver Benjamin

Oliver decided to join our family at 10:43 Tuesday December 21st, 2010. The funny thing is I was supposed to get induced that morning and I was really nervous and hoping I would go into labor on my own. I woke up to get ready, got in the bath and noticed my first "real" contraction at about 6 am. While I was in the bath, the hospital called and said it was too busy so to call later and see about induction. I called them after I got out and said, "Too late, baby is coming!" and we got ready and headed on down. I didn't want to labor at home much this time because last time it went so fast and I got to the hospital at 10 cm. We arrived at the hospital at 7:00 am and I was 9 cm! An hour after the first contraction! I was in a lot more pain this time than with Sam so I asked about some pain meds and they said, "Too late!". I was not happy about that but thought since I was 9 cm, he would be here soon. By 7:30 I was complete and started pushing. My Dr. arrived and they realized that Oliver was posterior. No wonder it was so much more painful! We tried pushing awhile with Dr. manually trying to turn him but he would just turn right back every time. I don't know how long this lasted but it was probably 45 min- 1 hour. At this point I was exhausted and totally over the pain so the Dr. decided to give me a intra-fecal which is similar to an epidural but not as invasive, works immediately and only last 1-2 hours. We figured if I could get some relief we could work on turning him. It was heaven. I loved my natural birth with Sam, but it was much calmer, easier and less painful! It's amazing what a difference a posterior baby makes. The next hour and a half were spent with my AMAZING nurse and husband putting me into all sorts of positions in order to try and turn Oliver, and me pushing about every 5 minutes or so. I was so freaking exhausted but so thankful for my nurse for working so hard to get him out. The meds started wearing off about 10:15-10:30 and I started semi feeling the contractions again. It was a good thing though because it helped me focus on where to push better. They called the Dr. back and we pushed a bit. At this point I had been pushing for 3 hours and we had tried many different tricks. My Dr. who is so great and knows how bad I didn't want to have a c-section said that there was one more thing to try and if that didn't work than unfortunately I would have to have a c-section. At that point I didn't care but now I am so glad he worked so hard. He got out what they called, "The MIGHTY vac" and said, "push as hard as you can, this is your last chance." They had even called to prep the c/s room. That gave me enough incentive and with about 5 people cheering me on, I pushed so stinking hard as well as having the vacuum and after 3 rounds of pushing, out he came!!! I was so relieved and happy. So relieved it was over and so happy I didn't have to have surgery.
Poor Oliver had a very swollen head with a nasty abrasion from the vacuum, but other than that he was good. He had to be monitored by NICU in the room for a little while because of his head but after about 1/2 hour they brought him over and let him lay on me. I couldn't tell who he looked like because of the swelling, but did notice he has brown hair! After two blonde babies, that was surprising but fun.
He is a nice combination and an absolute joy. He was a full pound bigger than his older brother's at 7 lbs, 10 oz and continues to pack it on. At 10 days old he already weighed 8 lbs 11 oz! We adore him and couldn't have had a better Christmas present.







12 comments:

Adri said...

congrats! You have the 3 sweetest boys!!

Anonymous said...

And I say, whoever read the WHOLE thing REALLY cares about you. :D. Doesn't sound fun at all Michelle. All without being numb. Wow. Congratulations. He looks like somebody but I can't tell who. AND, what a cute book Rex got for his bd. Rex saves the day or school I can't remember. How cute. CONGRATULATIONS.
Michelle Browning

Kelli and Chad said...

Wow, what a delivery! I am so proud of you, and you are such a trooper. I know I would have been like, Just do the C-section!! I am so glad it all worked out. Whoever recommended your doctor to you is a genius ;) I really can't wait to meet him. Congrats

Amanda Warren said...

Michelle, what an incredible story! The only reason I have been able to do 2 natural births is because my babies come so fast. I cannot even imagine pushing for as long as you did! Congrats to you and your family! What a wonderful Christmas gift to bring home to your family.

Dinger said...

Yikes! I had no idea! Not surprised that you did so well though! He is cute as a button!! Can't wait to see him in person.

Chanell said...

Congratulations! He is so cute! What a crazy and LONG labor- way to be so tough! And I love the pictures of him that Kim took. He is a handsome boy.

Kellie said...

Love your pregnant photo, cute little belly. And what a labor story! Poor little man with the vacuum but I am totally like you - would try all resorts not to have a c-section. Glad he is okay and doing well. Seriously he is one cute little man. Congrats and happy you got such a wonderful Christmas present.

The Compton Family said...

Congrats! 7 more weeks and our little boy will be here too! Funny that Oliver was one of the names we were thinking of too. He's adorable!

Emily Andrus said...

Congrats Michelle! Oliver is adorable and I love the name. I'm so happy that you didn't have to have a C-section, but I feel for you. I can't imagine having a posterior baby or pushing for 3 hours. What a perfect Christmas gift. Hope you are recovering and getting some rest. Harper is expecting more photos soon. :)

Jessica said...

He is SO cute! He looks like Rex but also is different. Oh I just want to squeeze him...gently of course;) Love you guys

Lesley-Ann said...

A huge congratulations Michelle, Oliver is adorable :-)

The Holverson Family said...

He's a doll! Congrats!! I feel your pain ... Taylee was born posterior and was my first. I told my mom that was the most horrible thing I had ever gone through. Of course, I was exhausted and not thinking, but it was horrible and long! The things we do for such perfect little babies.