Saturday, January 29, 2011

Our Sammy boy


I adore Sam. I love all of my children, but Sam is just one of those people that is so easy to love and also like most of the time. Of course he has his moments but overall he has the sweetest, most loving personality. Rex has been a great example for Sam in all things spiritual and often coaches him on prayers. After we lost Jacob last January and then got pregnant with Oliver two months later, Rex made sure from that moment on every prayer said in our household blessed the baby. I was so proud of him. Because of this, Sam got in the habit of always blessing Oliver as well.
A couple of weeks ago when I wasn't at church, Mark came home and relayed what numerous people told him happened in Primary. The child who was assigned to say the opening prayer wasn't there. At this point Sam had only been in Primary for 3 weeks since he just entered Sunbeams the first of the year. The leader asked for a volunteer to say the prayer and Sam rose his hand. She called on him and asked him if he needed help and he told her no. This is what I was told he said, "Dear Heavenly Father. Thank you that we could be in Primary today and thank you that I have a new baby brother. In the name of Jesus Christ amen." We had so many people say how cute it was and how proud he was of himself.
Later that week I was having a rough day with the baby and with feeling sleep deprived. I went to get the mail and found a sweet card from an older women in the ward who's kids are all grown up. She told me about what Sam did and then thanked Mark and I for teaching our children well and thanked Sam as well for helping her feel the Spirit that Sunday. It was one of those moments where pride just swells in your heart and you realize that all the hard work is worth it.
We are so grateful for our Sam. Our family would not be the same without his sweet spirit.

3 comments:

Dinger said...

Yes we love Sam at our house too! You can be a proud mama 3 X's over. . .all three boys are the way they are because they have good parents.

Kim said...

What a neat little story. Sam is a sweetie pie and it sounds like he is a pretty good big brother too.

Megan said...

I teach the Sunbeams in my ward and they definitely teach me more than I teach them! We have a little girl who has both parents in the military and in Afghanistan. Her prayers are so sweet - she always blesses those who are serving our country and for her mom and dad. It brings tears to my eyes every time she says the prayers! I love that age - they are so close to the Spirit still and you never know what they're going to say!