Sunday, May 25, 2008

Slacker

I know there have been a bazillion things to document this week but I just have not had the energy. This week has been so crazy that now that I look back on it, I can't even remember most of the week! That is sad. I have been meaning to document Rex's first talent show experience that was a week ago Saturday, but haven't. Since he is my first child and we are just starting to get to the age of performances and lessons, I completely dropped the ball and forgot the camera and video camera! A member of our ward videotaped him though so I am just waiting to receive it. I'll post it when it becomes available. So the primary had a talent show a week ago Saturday, the weekend right after we got home from California. We had been gone so didn't know much about it. I got a phone call asking what Rex wanted to do. I couldn't imagine what a 3 year old would do in a talent show but she said the other kids were doing somersaults or riding their bikes or jumping, just really simple things. So I told her Rex would do a somersault. We got their on Saturday and luckily they let the Sunbeams go first. Rex was sitting there waiting for his turn and watching all his friends do cute little things. His two best buddies both did somersaults so he was getting pretty excited. The little boy right before him, Ethan sang an adorable church song. It was so cute! Rex loves microphones so I think that made him a little jealous when he saw that. When it was his turn he ran onstage and headed straight for the microphone and started saying a prayer!! It was so hilarious! I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying because he was touching the microphone to his mouth and because I was laughing so hard. But I did make out a bunch of "thankfuls", and he did say he was thankful for somersaults. Anyway when he finished one of the leaders said "Thank you Rex for that wonderful talk!" He wasn't paying attention though because after his "talk", he ran back and proceeded to do his somersault! He was so proud of himself when he came off that stage that it made me proud! It was definitely a cute moment and I am so thankful that one of our ward members was able to capture it for me!
Mark had surgery this week again. He was having a lot of pain in his stomach and when pressed on, it felt like a bubble in there. He went to the Dr. and found out he had 4 hernias! They say not only is he genetically susceptible to them since his brother has had them, but also they are really common after having your appendix out, which he had in October. So Friday he got them all taken care of. He did well, but had a hard time getting his Oxygen levels back up so he had to be observed for awhile. He's doing pretty good now, just really tired and sore. We are just glad he is alright. I am exhausted from being a single mom the past few days!! Getting myself and 2 kids up for 8 am church this morning was not fun! I have a new found respect for the moms in our ward that come without husbands every week, I could not do it!
We had a great Young Womens today. As a presidency have been trying to come up with a way to help the girls gain a testimony and understand their worth. We decided to do the Hinkley Book of Mormon reading challenge with them. I spent the time this weekend that I wasn't running around after my kids planning the lesson to introduce the challenge. The lesson turned out well and I really felt the Spirit, I hope the girls did also. We are making sure the parents are on board and are really making sure to stay on top of it and remind the girls each week about what they should be reading. I even set up a blog for them so that we can share experiences. It's amazing how technological this generation is so we thought we would use that and heed Elder Nelson's advice on using "new media" for good. I am really excited about it and pray that the girls will get into and gain or further their testimonies. If they can at this age, they will be so ahead of the game.
Hopefully I won't be such a slacker this week but with Mark not able to do much, I just may be!

1 comment:

Daisymay said...

Hey Michelle, this is your kinda Aunt Michelle. I trully know what you mean about being judged about health and how you feel. TOTALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I have been completely judged how I handle my pain. Well, after 20 hip surgeries, knees and elbows and many, many ovarian cysts and lots more. See, does anybody in the ward know all that NO. It is embarrasing when you think people are looking at you wondering why you cannot deal with it. I am sooooo sorry to hear all this is going on with your young little family. I TRULLY UNDERSTAND how hard all this surgery stuff goes and especially with little kids. If you need to vent, I would love for you to email me or call. Good luck. Love your blog by the way.

Aunt Chell