Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Yes, I am Irish

Been on a serious blogging funk lately. Couldn't think of a thing to say.
Not

ONE

SINGLE

THING.

But now it is St. Patricks Day! And as a former Carney (rhymes with Blarney) I most definitely have some Irish roots. Because of that I have always been fascinated with Ireland and hope to visit there some day. In the meantime, I celebrate St. Patricks Day.

This year I decided to be a cool mom and start some St. Patricks Day traditions, lest my kids ever have to go to therapy over my lack of traditions for every holiday. I spent some quality time watching 90210 last night while cutting out little leprechaun feet. I made some Irish Soda bread and even colored it green so that Rex would have a cool snack to take to Preschool tomorrow. I left out a fresh box of Apple Jacks and woke up early to make green eggs, Sam's favorite food. I then left the little leprechaun feet on the floor. I was so excited for the boy's reactions...

Rex woke up ornery. Apparently he had a bad dream. I tried to cheer him up by telling him that the leprechauns had a surprise for us in the kitchen. He ran in there, got down and examined the feet for a minute and then said, "Those aren't real, they are made out of paper!"

Sam decided that green eggs were disgusting because, "I don't like green eggs, I like yellow eggs."

Awesome.

A little later on Rex cheered up and decided that maybe leprechauns did visit and that they even washed their hands after they were done cooking because they left some soap in the sink. Sam got excited about the green clothes he had to wear and the Irish soda bread was a hit at Preschool.

I am a cool mom.

Tonight we are feasting on a traditional Irish meal found here.

Go Ireland! Maybe I'll dye our toilet water green just for fun...




3 comments:

the reilly's said...

michelle, they are too cute, and yes you are a wonderful mom. i had to do something at lunchtime since we were too rushed at breakfast. it is a fun day around here too. I hope all is well with you. There still is not a day that goes by that i don't think about you. hope you are happy and looking forward to your next one. have a good dinner!!

Kim said...

Rex was very excited about the leprechan surprise. He asked if they came to our house and the kids said no, but they wished that they had, thanks for setting the bar so high Michelle :) maybe next year.

Unknown said...

That is sooo fun! I totally forgot about the holiday all together, thats what a great mom I am! There's always next year though right?? And just think how excited your kids will be next year!!!! Way to go.