Sunday, February 7, 2010

the garden

Saturday afternoon we decided to drive up to the cemetary that Jacob will be buried in. We decided not to do a private burial, but to take advantage of a program the hospital offers. They have a memorial garden and a tomb at a local cemetary, the same one my aunt is buried in and the one we lived right by when we first moved to this area. It's a beautiful cemetary nestled in the foothills. Babies that die before 23 weeks can be laid to rest here without any cost to the parent. However, there aren't any individual markers. This seemed like the best option for us money wise and emotionally. I wasn't sure I wanted to drag it on with a burial. Personally, I am not big on graveyards and don't visit them often. I guess I feel that who the person is, their spirit, is not in the ground so why go there? Others obviously feel very different and I have struggled with whether this is the right decision. It's hard to know what to do in this situation, when you have never expected to be in this situation. Ideally we would have him buried in a plot that Mark and I would eventually be buried in but since we don't even know if this is where we will settle or where we want to be buried that isn't feasible. We have really tried to imagine what we would want for the future and have decided we are comfortable with this decision for us. We were worried about the boys and if having a gravesite would be easier for them to remember Jacob and know he was real, but then I realized that I never even visited my sister's grave until I was 10 because it is in California. I have been there twice in my life, yet I have always known I had a sister and all about her. Jacob is a part of our family, whether we have a gravesite or not. They are having an interfaith memorial service for all the babies that have died in the last few months on Feb 25th. That is also Sam's birthday but we will go and celebrate Jacob and his little spirit. If you are local you are welcome to attend as well. Here's the memorial garden.






I wish there was a manual on what to do in this situation. The hospital was great in guiding us and doing things that we would want done even though we didn't know we would want them done. Like taking pictures. I didn't even bring a camera. It didn't even cross my mind. I was too busy trying to emotionally get through the situation. These little things are the only regrets I have. Not taking pictures of us with him, not holding him long enough, not examining every inch of his little body and not officially saying goodbye. All the drugs I was on didn't help me think clearly either or be aware of a lot that went on. But these are just little things and I know with time they won't bother me anymore. So I hope that with time we are comfortable with his burial and our decisions regarding this as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this the Dry Creek cememtary? I always loved this one it was so peaceful.

Jessarella said...

It looks like a beautifully perfect spot to me.

Jaime said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I just read about it today. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

sandy said...

Michelle, This seems like the most peaceful and beautiful place for your baby boy. I really wish I could hug you right now. I do know your strong testimony of the Savior will get you through.

Kim said...

It's so nice that the hospital has this service. I don't think there is any wrong or right way to handle this, just as long as you feel at peace that is all that matters. I think it's sweet you took the boys to see it. No matter what it's like you said Jacob is part of your eternal family.

the reilly's said...

Michelle, that is so neat. I think that what you guys did is great. You will always know that he is there and if you want to have a moment to ponder, there is a place to go. I hope all is going well with you and your family. If I lived closer I would love to be at the little ceremony.

Suzette said...

You do the best you can do with what you have at the moment. No one knows the future. And no one should ever have to plan a funeral for their child. Don't second guess yourself. You did wonderful, whatever it was you decided. You're the mommy, you automatically do the best.