Saturday, January 17, 2009

Best dinner ever!

YUM, YUM, YUM!! I found this recipe by Rachel Ray awhile back and my family has loved it! It's so good and so easy!

Peasant Pasta

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, available in bulk at butcher counter or, 2 links, casings removed
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, available in bulk at butcher counter or, 4 links, casings removed
3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped, optional
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen green peas
24 leaves fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Grated Italian cheese, for passing

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan. Add sausage meat. Crumble sausage meat as it browns. Add chopped garlic to the pan. When all of the crumbles have browned evenly, deglaze the pan drippings using chicken or vegetable broth. Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir cream into your sauce, this will blush the color and cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir peas and basil into your sauce to combine. Toss hot drained penne rigate in pan with the sauce, then transfer pasta to serving bowl.

Well tonight I decided to make breadsticks from scratch. I have never tried this before but saw a recipe on this woman's blog so I gave it a shot. The recipe can be found here. These breadsticks are TOO DIE FOR! Seriously tonight I could have fed myself into an oblivion...

4 comments:

Kari Cole said...

Hey Michelle... We have missed keeping in touch with you guys- your Christmas card was super cute!
I eventually gave in and started blogging!! I have left it private, but you can email me and I will send you an invite, if you would like. (cole62000@hotmail.com)
Your family is beautiful!! It is so great to see your cute new puppy!! We need to get together... Hunter is quite the little boy- I am thinking he and Sam would really hit it off!!

Shay said...

Ooohhh Yummy. Thanks for some inspiration for my meal planning this week. Jeremy will eat anything from Racheal Ray...he loves her. I should try more of her meals, but sometimes I want reviews before I make it, so I will definately try this. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so yummy! I'm always looking for new recipes. Thank you for the fun package. I was eyeing those shoes last time I was in there, and I can't wait to see us at 70. Love YA!!!!!

The Brownings said...

I looked up that bread stick recipe-I do believe I am going to make them! They sound nummy :>