Monday, January 25, 2010

Changes

This is going to be a hard post, but one I feel will help me in sorting out feelings and healing. Obviously my most private thoughts won't be here, but I will share some things about this last week that have changed forever the person I am. I want this experience documented and my blog is where I have documented the last 3 years of our lives.
Early Wednesday morning, the 20th, I woke up feeling the intense urge to go to the bathroom. Not uncommon but after I went the feeling didn't go away. It was extremely uncomfortable and there was no way I was getting any sleep. I thought that I must have a bladder infection or kidney stones so I decided the best thing to do was to go to the ER. This was at 2 a.m. Mark had to stay home with the kids so I headed over alone. They admitted me and took what seemed like forever to do anything. I started getting really intense kidney pain so I assumed for sure that is what it was. They finally gave me some Morphine and I waited for results of my urine test. In the meantime they sent me to ultrasound to look at my kidneys. The ultrasound tech took forever looking at everything and then suddenly she said she needed to go talk to the Dr. She came back and said they were going to do a full OB ultrasound. At that moment I knew something was wrong. I asked her but she wouldn't tell me anything. I just knew though. I searched that screen for a heartbeat and didn't see anything moving like I usually have. Sure enough the Dr. came in later and said the heartbeat was extremely low and all signs pointed to the fact that I was having a miscarriage. I was devastated. I don't think anything can prepare you for that. At 17 weeks I thought I was in the clear and losing the baby just never once crossed my mind until then. Mark rushed over with the boys. It all felt like a dream. We went home and slept for a little bit until we could meet my OB at his office. They rushed me back when I got there and sure enough no heartbeat. No blood even flowing through the umbilical cord. My OB thinks that they were detecting my heartbeat at the hospital not the babies. We did an amniocentesis and the fluid was dark which indicated the baby had probably been deceased for about a week. My OB was amazing and so kind. We decided to go home and try and get some sleep since we had been up all night and go to the hospital that evening to be induced. That evening was hard. I didn't want to go do what I had to do. Rex freaked out and didn't want me to leave and I had a horrible dream about dying so I was pretty much a wreak. We got to Labor and Delivery and I remember being in triage while they were trying to figure out what was going on. Apparently the day nurse hadn't informed the night nurse that I was coming so they weren't prepared. I could hear the heartbeat of another baby next door and it just broke my heart. Mark was so great and just read me some comforting scriptures. Once they figured out what was happening, they were amazing. The nurses were so kind and took me to a quiet room. My OB came and we had a few minutes alone with him in the room while the nurses were grabbing things. He is LDS and is actually the bishop in his ward. It was so helpful to me at that time because not only could he talk to me as a Dr. but he also talked to me as someone who shared my faith and had a lot of experience in these kinds of things. I am still struggling with whether this little body had a Spirit or not and it may be something I never know in this life but he was so helpful in calming me down. The night was pretty much a blur with all the drugs they gave me but I remember feeling some cramping and a lot of pressure around 5 a.m. At 5:19 a.m. I delivered very easily our 3rd little boy. He weighed 2.6 ounces and was 6 inches long. He came out fully encased in the sack which was the best possible outcome because everything came out easily and there was no need for a DNC. I was pretty out of it but later on they let me hold him and in fact we kept him in the room with us for quite some time. I was amazed at how he had developed each individual finger and toe already. Mark says he has Rex's chin. We named him Jacob.
I don't think it was any secret I was hoping for a girl this time around but the minute I laid eyes on that little boy I wanted nothing more than to be able to have him healthy and back inside of me. I can't believe the amount of love you can feel that early on and it truly feels like I lost a piece of me that day. I am suddenly a part of this amazing group of people, my mom being one of them, that has lost a baby too early. It helped so much that she was able to spend those first few days here with me because she truly knows how I feel and knew all the right things to say and when it was time to not say anything at all and just hug me.
I feel like our future has completely changed and I am not quite sure how to navigate it. My whole focus the last 4 months has been on being pregnant and preparing for a baby in June. All our plans centered around that. Now that has completely changed and I am not quite sure what will happen. This is where I am learning that I need to put it in Heavenly Father's hands and trust in him. It's hard. The control freak in me wants to fix things and wave a magic wand and have everything back in it's place. However, I hope that this trial makes me a better person. I hope I learn to rely on the Lord more. I hope I continue to cherish my family as I have these last few days. The kids have been the best medicine, I love them so much. They are slowly healing my heart. I have never felt closer to Mark. He is my rock and we share the loss.
Everyone around us has been so amazing and I am thankful. We were bombarded with gifts, flowers, an amazing edible bouquet that we devoured, meals and words of comfort. I haven't spoken to many but I hope everyone knows how much every little thought and word of comfort has helped.
The hospital gave us a memory box to put everything that reminded us of Jacob in. The blanket he was wrapped in. His stats. The pictures the hospital took of him. All the cards of sympathy. And his ultrasound pictures from when his heart was beating. I cherish that and am so grateful to the hospital for this kind gesture. Times have changed so much, my mom didn't even get to hold the little girl she lost.
Every day gets better and acceptance is coming slowly but surely. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father who loves me and knows my pain. I have felt Jesus Christ and his love and for that I am grateful.

22 comments:

Katherine said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks Michelle for sharing your thoughts with us. I can't imagine going through what you have had to do this past week. I will hug my kids a couple extra times today...thanks.
xoxo
Katherine

Jessica said...

Tears are flowing and my heart is full, your example is amazing to me. I wish I could be there to give you a hug, we pray for you each night.

Kim said...

Thank you for sharing Michelle, that had to be a hard post to write. I know that through your writing that you will help someone else. I think you are extremly strong. Please let me know if you need anything.

Jessarella said...

Thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts with us. Jacob is so lucky to have you as his mother, and you will get to raise him one day. Your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you can feel all of our arms around you! We love you!

Lori Thompson said...

Oh, Michelle, what grace you have with the words you chose. It was a beautiful post. Thank you for having the strenghth and courage to write it.
With love,
Lori

Kellie said...

Oh Michelle I got all teary reading this post. I can't believe you were able to hold the little guy, that just breaks my heart to hear about your loss. Be strong and a new little spirit will come again soon.

Dinger said...

I love you! Thanks for sharing. You are a strong and amazing woman, but if you need a shoulder to cry on I would come right over. I want to give you some time to heal, but if you need anything please let me know.

the reilly's said...

Michelle, you are so amazing. Your post was so special. I can't believe you were able to put that special experience into words. It was so touching. Your posts always seem to bring tears to my eyes. You are a wonderful wife and mom. I look up to you and I am glad to call you my friend. I know that Heavenly Father will continue to bless you. I continue to pray and think of you and your family daily!!

Emily Andrus said...

That was tough to read. I can only imagine what it feels like to go through it. I'm glad you shared your experience with us. I hope and know you will continue to be comforted through your faith and testimony. There is nothing like the Comforter bearing witness in times of tragedy. Stay strong. You are a great, beautiful mama!

Jumpin' Jack Flash said...

You are so strong Michelle and what a trial you have had to face. Thank you for your courage and faith in Christ. It lifts us all up, even though you may feel so down. We are with you, in our thoughts and prayers and know that good things come from hard times and trials. Bless your heart!!! Big hugs to those sweet boys and awesome husband and especially to you.

Jumpin' Jack Flash said...

P.S. Sorry, I forgot to log out of my dad's blog...it's Pat and JaNece Mendoza!

Chanell said...

I'm so sorry Michelle. What a terribly difficult thing to have to go through. It is wonderful that you wrote down your feelings, so when it gets especially hard you can go back and read this again. We will continue praying for you and your family to feel peace and comfort.

lindsey said...

Sending LOTS of love your way. I'm so sorry for your loss...I hope life brings you a new 'normal' soon.

sandy said...

Reading your story made my heart ache for you. I am so grateful you are doing well. Your family needs you and Heavenly Father will give you that chance to raise that wonderful baby boy. Your testimony inspires me. Thank you for sharing. I love you, Sandy

Miranda said...

What a sweet post Michelle. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m so glad you were able to spend some time with your little Jacob. And, I’m so glad you were able to take pictures of him. No matter how hard it will be to look at those pictures now, you will love them more than anything as the years go on.

I am so grateful for eternal families. That is the one thing that helped me when we lost Luke. Knowing that one day we will all be together again. Those two little cousins are together now and waiting for us. And even though you will love and miss him every single day, I know that he loves and misses you too. Hang in there Mama. It will be ok.

The Holverson Family said...

You are an amazing mother! What a great example you are to all of us mothers who go through those bad days. Thanks for sharing your story! Our thoughts are with you and your family!

Kristen said...

Wow, your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I can't even imagine what you are feeling right now. You are so strong. Just remember you will see Jacob again. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Teagan said...

Michelle- you know we love you so much and have been sending our love and prayers your way during this time. You are so strong and you have an amazing family. If you need anything we are here for you.
hugs and kisses- teagan, shaun, charlotte and lillian.

kristi said...

what a hard thing to be going through, I am so sorry. I'm praying for you and your family.

melissa said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are an amazing and strong person. I hope that youwill continue to feel the comforts of our Savior. We are so blessed to have the knowledge of the gosspel in our lives. You will have the chance to hold your sweet little Jacob again. You will be in my prayers. Take care!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I found your blog off a comment you left on a blog of a very good friend of mine whom lost twin girls in 2007. I'm leaving my name anonymous but wanted to send you my sympathies on your loss. I lost a girl by miscarriage last year, on February 7th. I was 12 weeks along. We found out we lost a girl through a loving bishop who gave me an incredible blessing shortly after my miscarriage. I think the hardest parts of my miscarriage were the hormones. They wreaked havoc on me and I had no baby to balance it out. I have been at peace with my miscarriage even though it hurt so much. I know that my baby was needed elsewhere. I didn't even get to see her. That was really really hard, but also good. Seeing your baby knowing you have to bury him/her would open a whole new dimension of pain. But, not seeing my baby also opened a new dimension. I had a baby this last December. This one is a boy. He's healthy and doing well. But, it's funny how those occasional "glympses" of what you've lost come at those unexpected moments. I read your story. It's beautiful. I pray for you to feel peace in this time of trial. Loosing a baby is nothing short of devastating. And many times, harder than that. There were times that I felt so sad that I didn't think I could ever feel happy again. It felt like my heart was being wripped out of my chest, thrown on the floor, and stomped on. I can't describe the sadness I felt. My mother had a routine surgery and we almost lost her, and we are in the middle of short-selling some of our apartments. These all happened last year. And they have been the hardest trials I've ever gone through. But, through them, I have gained more faith, more empathy, and more love for those around me and the trials they face. My testimony has strengthened. And I KNOW that Heavenly Father will never leave us alone. He must love us a whole ton to give us the trials he has. With faith and hope, anything and everything is possible. We just have to remember who is in charge!

Good luck in the days ahead. The priesthood is a very big healing tool with trials such as what you're experiencing. God bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I just came to see your blog from your invite on BBC board. Thank you for sharing - it's amazing how truly similar I feel to so much of what you shared. Hugs to you!
Shanna