Sunday, February 17, 2008

10 hour vacation

It's amazing how when you have kids your whole life changes and becomes completely unpredictable and out of your control. We decided to rent a cabin in Garden Valley, about an hour North of Boise this weekend with our good friends and next door neighbors, the Amadors. So we finally found a cabin that was in our price range, allowed pets and could accomodate us all. So yesterday we packed up and shipped out. Sam has been sick but I started him on antibiotics Friday so we were hoping he would be fine. He had a bit of a rash on his back but I figured it just was a part of the sickness and no big deal. My back was killing me again but I didn't want to spoil the fun for the rest of the family so I just kept taking Ibuprofen for the pain. The ride up was great, Sam slept the whole way and Rex was relaxed and also fell asleep. We got up there at about 2, unloaded the car, got the cabin heated up and settled in. I noticed Sam's rash seemed to be getting worse so I was concerned but he was acting fine. We had dinner and played some games with the kids and then put them to bed. Once we finally got the kids to sleep we started a game of Settlers of Cataan (which I won :)). During the game, Rex woke up and seemed really hot, but we figured it was because the wood stove was really working and the cabin was pretty hot. He watched us play for awhile and started perking up so I wasn't concerned. We tried to put him to bed but by this time he was kind of moaning and was getting hotter. We thought he was asleep and I asked Mark to give him a blessing. I get so concerned with him having a fever because of his seizures. During the blessing, Rex was repeating everything Mark said. It was kind of funny, but not really like him, and we thought he was asleep. Well he kept talking and saying all sorts of weird stuff as we were all trying to go to bed. We realized he was hallucinating and he was burning up. Unfortunately I didn't bring any Motrin and we were in the mountains with nothing being open and no hospital! Sam also kept tossing and turning and waking up and was obviously uncomfortable. Mark and I were concerned so we decided to just head home. It was about midnight, so we hurried and packed up and headed home, and got home about 1:30. So our 2 night stay in a cabin in the mountains turned into a 10 hour stay filled with drama! Rex was so sad, he wanted to stay and play at the cabin and we are so sad that we aren't up there relaxing right now and playing games with our friends. We are especially sad we had to leave the Amadors all by themselves in the cabin! It was also an expensive 10 hours! We got some fun shots before everything happened though, it really was a good time, we just wish it could have lasted longer.

8 comments:

Kellie said...

Oh man that sucks, poor Rex. Did he feel better the next day then?

Anonymous said...

I guess 10 hours is better than 0 hours right?! Life with kids you never know what the day will bring. Sit by your fireplace today and sip hot chocolate maybe it will ease the pain! :) Are the boys feeling better?

Dinger said...

So I am waiting for the rest of the story!! Did your boys get better or was there another trip to the E.R.?? Your story makes me think that I am not the only one who has perfect weekends turn in to complete disasters!

Dana said...

Oh...that is so sad. I am sorry you couldn't stay the whole weekend! I hope you are all feeling better.
:)
dana

The Keetch Family said...

That stinks! It sees like our kids always get sick at the worst times. I hope they get feeling better soon....we've been up with Austin the last 2 nights with a bad temp. fevers are so scary.

Anonymous said...

How awful!!! At least you got to get a little bit of fun in. I've heard about Settlers but haven't played it yet. Is it pretty fun?

Shay said...

That is so terrible. Oh the joys of parenthood and the sacrifices we have to make! How are your boys doing? Hope you are all feeling better!

Andrea said...

That stinks sounds like it was fun while it lasted though. Hopefully the boys are feeling better.