Sunday, February 24, 2008

Birthday party

As many of you know Sam and my mom have the same birthday, so of course he has to be the favorite grandchild, right, it's only fair! :) So mom came down this weekend to celebrate their shared birthday tomorrow. That means 2 years in a row that she has been with us on her birthday. The first year was spent welcoming a new grandson and babysitting the other, so this year I decided to actually make her a birthday dinner and a birthday cake. We invited the Amadors over because really, when do we ever not invite them over! We also invited the Bells since Avery and Sam are only 3 months apart and are so cute together. I wanted to invite more people because we have so many friends that we love, but since I was making a dinner, it just wasn't possible. Paige was so kind as to give me some fabulous recipes, so I made a Chicken Cordon Bleu dish, a 7 layer salad and corn. The Bells brought a shrimp and cream cheese dish, and the Amadors brought a yummy drink. I made Sam and my mom carrot cake, I figured it was healthier than most and my mom likes it. It was hilarious watching Sam eat it! He got so into it and was smothered in cake and frosting. We then opened some great presents that Sam got, thanks everyone!! We have great neighbors and great friends and I have a wonderful mother who my boys absolutely adore! Thanks mom for sharing your birthday with Sam and with us!



Ok so I have to edit this to add something I figured out this morning. After I tasted the cake, I thought it just seemed a little off, kinda salty. So this morning I look at the recipe again and realize I completely left out the sugar!!! 2 cups of brown sugar!! So I call everyone to apologize and then I hear how everyone thought it was kinda gross but they didn't want to say anything. Lovely! I have a problem with 1st birthday cakes. Rex's was falling apart and I had to piece it back together and Sam's I forgot the sugar!! How embarrassing!

8 comments:

Shay said...

Happy Birthday Sam! I love first birthday and how special to share it with his Grandma!

Kellie said...

fun party! sounds like a yummy dinner you made and Sam looks like he thoroughly enjoyed his cake.

Brooke said...

Funny cake story! Happy Birthday to Sam!

Teagan said...

happy birthday Sam and Aunt Carolyn!!

Megan said...

I can't believe he's already 1. It's crazy how fast time goes when we don't see eachother. He's beautiful (so is Rex!). Sorry about your cake. I hate cooking for people because something always goes wrong!

Emily Andrus said...

Happy B-day Sam! Where does the time go? That's so fun that you can celebrate with your mom each year. And don't sweat the cake, it looked awesome. You did say you made carrot cuz it's healthier :) We're excited you guys are coming!

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing about the cake! I can't believe i missed almost his whole first year of life. Makes me sad :( Happy Birthday Sam!

The Keetch Family said...

Happy Birthday Sam! When will I meet this boy????