Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our best dog ever

Just wanted to add a slideshow. These are almost all the pictures we have of him. It was so therapeutic to go through them and to realize what a great life he had and how much we love him. He truly was a member of our family and we feel the void constantly. How will I know when someone's at the door without him barking to warn me? Who will clean up all the food the kids throw on the floor? Who will lay in the sunshine all day keeping watch over our yard? Who will greet us when we come home? Who will be right there waiting as soon as the kids go down for the night for some love and affection? Who will I pet when I am stressed? Who will accompany us on our family walks? Boykin wasn't a typical dog. I know everyone thinks their dog is the best but he truly was. Mark and I got Boykin shortly after we got married, he was like our first child and boy was he spoiled before the kids came. We rescued him when he was around 8 months old. He was so timid and had obviously been through a lot. He had his little issues and obviously there were days when I thought it would be easier not to have a dog, but overall the positive far outweighed the negative. It was like he knew we had rescued him and so he tried so hard to be a good dog. The only time he ever got a little naughty was if I didn't give him a walk for a few days, and he let me know it! Boykin was Rex's first friend and up until this last year when you asked Rex who his best friend was he would say Boykin. Rex drove Boyks crazy but he was always so patient, he let him do anything to him. I still wonder if we made the right decision but after 8-9 seizures and him obviously being uncomfortable, I don't know what other choice we had and what quality of life he would have had if we had let it run it's course. Most likely it would have been the same outcome with a lot more suffering. I am so thankful for those last couple of hours when he seemed happy and back to his normal self. I think he knew we needed that. After his final 3 seizures when they put him to sleep, Mark said he looked totally peaceful and comfortable. I hope so and I hope he knows how much we loved him.

7 comments:

Kim said...

Michelle, I am so sorry, I am getting teary reading your sweet thoughts about Boykin. I am sure he will truly be missed. Sorry about your loss.

Stephanie said...

oh my gosh. MICHELLE! that's so sad. I'm so sorry. i really, really am. that's a great slideshow of him -- (LOVED the bra picture). he sounds like the best dog ever.

Kari Cole said...

I can't believe what you guys have had thrown your way these past weeks... and I can't believe Boykin is gone. We will miss him! He was such a good dog!

Kari Cole said...

ps... missed you guys camping this weekend. Maybe another time.

JaNece said...

I am so sorry for you loss! Sweet Boykin! I'm crying with you looking at the pictures of him and how much he was a part of your family!!! It's hard to lose someone! You gave him a wonderful life and at least he's not suffering anymore!

lindsey said...

I'm so sorry about your dog! Our dog just passed away too, it is TOTALLY sad and they ARE part of the family. Good luck with everything that is going on. It seems like when it rained, it totally poured!

Daisymay said...

Oh my gosh Michelle. You really have been thru it. I didn't read you had lost your dog too. I am soooo sorry. I have 2 dogs and they are such a pain but I know if I were to loose one of them I would really have a very hard time. I am sorry for you. I started tearing up watching the slide show. Aunt Michelle