Sunday, June 15, 2008

Our tribute

Ok so I know that our blog has been a little "heavy" lately. I am sorry but it has been our life lately. We have found some moments of sunshine through the sadness though. It's been really hard because we have realized that he was such a part of our routine. I find myself thinking I need to let him out, or glancing in the backyard to see what he is doing. We miss his presence in our room at night, we miss his happy greeting when we get home, and I miss my vacuum cleaner because he always picked up the food that the kids threw on the floor. I was a ball baby at church today, my ward probably thinks I am cookoo! It's hard because people who don't have a dog and aren't dog people look at me like I have 3 heads because I am so upset about my dog, I find myself gravitating towards those who have dogs because they "get" it. Everyone really has been so nice though. Someone who I work really close in church with left brownies and a beautiful note for me tonight, it really made my day. Rex's primary teacher said he kept talking about his dead dog and just wanted to sit on her lap the whole time. Poor kid. He doesn't talk about it with us, I think he doesn't want us to cry anymore. I feel so bad for him, he just doesn't understand, he just knows he misses him terribly. We decided that Boykin's grave needed to either have a plant on top or some flowers or something. Mark and Rex went to Home Depot and found a pot that reminds us totally of Boykin. With his black fur and blue collar. We spent time as a family planting flowers and then we decided to go with our neighbors up to the mountains to enjoy the scenery and to get away. Boykin LOVED the mountains, he would whine and pant the whole way up and just had pure bliss on his face the whole time we were there. We had a great time, the boys loved it. It was the perfect way to pay tribute and to in some ways boost Mark's spirits on this Father's Day weekend. We love you Mark!

5 comments:

Lesley-Ann said...

Oh Michelle you made me cry. You are so right only animal lovers know how hard it is to lose a pet. I remember going to church the day after my horse died and I just cried every time some one spoke to me. Sorry to inform you but it is going to be a bit of rough ride for sometime, as you are finding out with all the constant reminders :-(

Kelli and Chad said...

I am so sorry Michelle. He was a great dog, I will miss him coming over to play with Pepsi. If we lost Pepsi I would be a mess. I totally understand it is like losing a family member in a way. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

The Brownings said...

:( I'm so sorry. He was your first baby and I can't imagine what you might be feeling. Give the boys our love.

Anonymous said...

Oh no I'm so sorry! My kids would be so sad if anything ever happened to Ruby. I love the pot you chose! Hang in there!!!

Shay said...

Oh Michelle...I am so sorry! I totally remember Boykin when you got him and living in the apartment in SLC and you always taking him for walks and Tre and I would go on some of those walks with you. You are not a coocoo for crying in church. I totally understand how your animals are a part of your family. I really feel bad that he only lived for 5 years...he was still so young! I wish your family all the best and I love how Boykin's memory still lives on!