Monday, October 6, 2008

Conference weekend

We had an enjoyable but busy Conference weekend. I used to look so forward to listening to our leaders and I still do. In fact this year I was extra excited with all that is going on with the economy, etc. to feel some inspiration. What was I thinking??? I haven't been able to really listen to Conference since Rex was born. Sure I get snippets here and there, but I miss being able to really listen and ponder what was being said. That just doesn't seem possible with 2 little ones running around screaming during most of it. Thank goodness for the Ensign. I will be spiritually uplifted next month I guess.
On a positive note, I decided to spend Saturday canning while I tried to listen to Conference. I got a huge bag of plums from my mom's tree last weekend and although Rex loves to eat them, he wasn't going to eat a whole bag before they went bad. (unless I wanted him to spend the week on the toilet!) And I planted a jalapeno plant this year that went crazy! I probably got close to 100 jalapenos on one little plant. So I had 60 of those in my house. What do you do with 60 jalapenos? It only takes 2-3 to make a batch of salsa! So I made and canned plum raspberry jam and jalapeno jelly. I had never tried jalapeno jelly but I heard it was good on top of cream cheese and a cracker. I tried some Saturday night and let me tell you, it was YUMMY!!! So if anyone wants some jalapeno jelly, I have about 10 cans of it.



On a more somber note, Mark and I definitely got the parents of the year award this weekend. Often, after the kids go to bed we have the Amadors or the Bells or both over for games. We also go to their house. It's right next door and across the street so we will lock up the house, bring the monitor and check in regularly. Well Friday night we went across the street to the Bells home. The house was locked and we had the monitor but I still sat at the table where I had a view of our house out their front window because Rex recently learned how to open the garage door. Most nights he doesn't wake up, but Friday night he did. So I glance outside and notice my neighbors pull up to their house. I glance again a minute later and see them walking to our house with Rex in their arms!! Apparently he woke up and couldn't find us so he opened the garage door (probably to go to the Amadors) right as the neighbors pulled up. Obviously I would have seen him outside but I still felt like crap, especially since the neighbors found him first. Thank goodness they understood and won't be calling CPS on us. Needless to say we won't be having game night anywhere but our house I think. I just can't handle the guilt of "mommy, remember last night when it was dark and you left me?" Yea, thanks buddy.

3 comments:

lindsey said...

I am SO impressed with your canning abilities. I LOVE jalapeno jelly with my soul. Great job!

Also, so sad about Rex being lost, but I don't think you're horrible parents! :)

Kellie said...

Your Jam and Jelly are gorgeous. Rex the escape artist has halted your neighbor game nights - sad. I thought you had a pretty good system set up. But understand the mom guilt - that was a great story.

Froska said...

You are great to can. Oh I need to. It looks so yummy! I need to see you again. Love ya.