Monday, October 13, 2008

Just call me the coupon lady...

I have decided that in order to help pay off our never ending medical bills, instead of getting a part time job, I would start trying to cut our budget by saving money at the grocery store. There is a whole world out their of coupon clipping and saving money. It's an art and some women are so good at it, they can get a cart full of groceries for $37! It will take time to learn it all, but I started with planning a months worth of meals, made a detailed shopping list and stuck with it. I didn't do too bad for the first time, I saved $25 on about $200 worth of groceries and necessities. YAY! I like saving money! Hopefully I will get better than that and be able to save us a lot more money this year.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Okay were you watching that Oprah? I am totally with you on how cool it would be to get tons of groceries for $27.00 dollars. Pass on any tips you find out. My sister and cousin are into coupons so if I find out any amazing strategies I'll let you know.

lindsey said...

That's great! Good for you! I found this website where the lady was all about coupons, and double days...so if I can find her site again, I will pass it on!

Anonymous said...

I clip coupons sometimes, I even take them to the store and then I forget to give them to the checker. Oops! The meal planning and sticking to it does help. I do it that way and now spend only about 125.00 every two weeks, for a family of 5.

Jessarella said...

I really wish I would do this! I see coupons, and I even bring them with me sometimes, but I forget to use them. I spend way too much money at the grocery store. I always shop hungry. That is the worst thing you can do. If you think of any great coupon saving tips let me know!

Stephanie said...

i'm the same as jess. and i've tried doing the menu-month-in-advance thing but i never last past week 1. i'm looking forward to seeing how this works for you so i can copy. :)

Kellie said...

I saw that on Oprah too and it got me excited to start clipping, could take awhile to get good at it though, it's like a job!

Teagan said...

good for you! I have never been a coupon person...sometimes i think it makes people buy things that they wouldn't have...but they have the coupon so they buy it anyway. I guess its something that you have to get good at. like your friend said above "its like a job".
Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Teagan said...

ps- Love your hair!! (what color line do you use? I had to change mine-rrugh!!)

Dinger said...

Teach me! I just have to tell you that the pictures you took with Kim are so dang cute!!! Sammy could seriously be the new model for baby gap (love the hat :)!! Your family looks great!!!

Shay said...

I have been couponing too. I use the help of grocergame.com. I like it, but it can be a lot of work. I love saving the money though...it's such a rush! :)
LOVE your hair! It's so cute!

Bell Blog said...

I need to save money! Great call on the coupons! I hope it works!