Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A moment


This is going to be a journaling post for me, so I will not feel bad if you don't read it! I had an awesome spiritual experience tonight and I always feel like I need to document these experiences so I don't forget and so I can draw on them when the spiritual well runs a little low.
We had Young Women in Excellence (YWE) tonight. Paige found a great theme for us that the Young Women leaders in her mom's ward had done. It was based off the book by Dr. Seuss, "Oh, the places you'll go". They had done this great presentation that had the book pages and then scriptures to go along with the book. I put the power point together and I was amazed at how well it all flowed. As we were discussing in our meetings the direction we wanted to take with it, we were wondering who should speak about Personal Progress, since that is the point of YWE. I felt prompted in our meeting that I needed to say something, but I didn't want to sound full of myself by volunteering to speak, like my speaking abilities are so amazing or something. So, I offered to say something since I am working on my Young Women medallion along with the girls.
I have prayed and pondered for the last couple of weeks what I should talk about, but never sat down and wrote anything down. I was going to do that last minute (as is my style) today, but got so busy making 80 Cat in the Hat cupcakes that I never had time. As I was driving to the church I got pretty nervous. From that moment on, I think I was saying a prayer 75% of the time that night until I had to talk. Right before it was my turn I had that powerful pounding in the chest and sweaty armpits that happens right before you bear a testimony that you know you have to bear.
I got up there and was able to articulate all my thoughts and able to speak from my heart about exactly why I felt Personal Progress is important. I truly felt the Spirit guiding me, I love that feeling.
I never completed my Personal progress as a youth, and never received my medallion and have regretted it ever since. When I got called as the 2nd Counselor, I thought, how can I do this? I never even completed the Young Womens program. I tried to share my experience and testimony to the girls so that they can understand that although they may not care now, one day they may regret not completing the program. One day they may have a daughter that wonders why she has to do her personal progress since mom never completed it. Since starting the personal progress program myself as a 29 year old wife and mother of 2, I have finally gained a testimony of the program. I am amazed at the way it inspires you to develop your talents and gain a testimony of the gospel and of the Savior. And over all just become a better person and a stronger and more faithful daughter of God.
I guess it is better late then never...

7 comments:

lindsey said...

Great post. I felt the same way when I was called to teach Seminary...I was like Ummm...I went late to seminary about 2/3rds of the time after going to Holiday to get a soda. How can I now tell them to be on time? I appreciate that we can continue to learn and grow for forever...and a "wasted" youth might be our salvageable. Oh what we put our parent's through! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony.

P.S. Those cupcakes are TO DIE FOR cute!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing! It's amazing how much the spirit will guide when the Lord wants something to be taught. I think Young Womens would be such a challenge: thanks for your example.

And on a side note the cup cakes look amazing!

Dinger said...

I looked around as you were speaking last night-- I could tell the bishop in particular was really impressed. The cupcakes were beautiful!! Thanks again for all your help!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are awesome. You may not have earned your medallion as a young women, but I owe you a big thank you for helping with my project so I could get mine. You've always been such a true friend, and I am so pround to have an amazing friend like you. Those young women are so lucky to have you!

Kim said...

It was a great night and you all put so much work into making it great. Your talk was awesome I hope you are proud of yourself for wanting to do the program, I think it's great. Hope the red comes off you hands soon.

Michelle said...

Lindsey,
AH, memories of Holiday! At least you went to Seminary...

Paige,
Maybe I won't get fired then, huh?! ;)

Daisymay said...

Hey Michelle, how did you make those cupcakes? Is that cake piled high or what? Let me know ok? Thanks, Aunt Chell