Saturday, September 6, 2008

Corn, corn and more corn

I am always in awe of the Mormon women who know how to do everything and are so prepared. They can, they freeze, they stock up, the make yummy and wonderful concoctions of food and know how to preserve it. I am not one of those women, but I want to be. So once or twice a year we do some sort of project that helps me feel talented and prepared, even if just for a day! The last two years we have teamed up with our friends, the Amadors and made freezer corn. VeAnne's dad has a friend who has a field of corn and he lets them go pick as much as the want for FREE!! So Pete and VeAnne picked a truckload of corn and then about 1:00 on Friday, dumped it in our garage. The next 9-10 hours were spent working. We shucked, we desilked, we decobbed, we cooked and we put in bags. In the end we counted almost 700 ears of corn!!! No wonder it took us all freaking day! Out of that 700 ears of corn, we got 64 bags of freezer corn! It is so good, it is mixed with butter, sugar and salt and just melts in your mouth. The men did the cutting and cooking this year, making a royal mess of my kitchen I might add! And VeAnne and I literally spent almost the entire time getting those annoying, little silky hairs off the corn, such a tedious job! We listened to lots of good music and even got the portable DVD player out in the garage and watched Moulin Rouge why we worked. We had lots of neighbors come by to see what we were doing and even conned a few into helping. All in all, it was a LOT of work but felt good to get so much yummy corn prepared for hardly any money. If we keep having all these medical bills, we may just be living off the corn!

Truck o'corn

VeAnne desilking

Pete shucking

Me in the Corn fort

Sammy dancing to the music

Mark looking oh so happy after 6 hours of cutting corn

In the kitchen that looks like it threw up corn!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I love corn off the cob, delicious, you guys certainly did some work, I hate shucking like four pieces of corn I can't imagine doing it all day. I hope you guys have a big freezer.

Dinger said...

Thanks for sharing your loot! Can't wait to eat some tomorrow. I am feeling overall pretty good, but have really enjoyed the rest and relaxation. Poor Dan and my mother are exhausted! Thanks again for the corn, it looks like fun, but lots of hard work!

Jessica said...

wow that is a heck of a lot of corn. I hope you guys like corn.

Anonymous said...

That's A LOT of corn. I was going to can peaches but I hate the mess. So way to go. Mark what a good job you did cutting all of that corn!

Teagan said...

Way to go!!! You are awesome guys... now we know where to go for corn-ha ha!!

The Brownings said...

Mmmmm Fresh corn!!!

Kelli and Chad said...

That there is a whole lot of corn! We miss you guys, we need to get together!